Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Food Bytes: Dairy Queen

Part One of my Food Bytes series about eating good food on a budget.  See here for the introduction. 

Milk: We go through one gallon of milk a month, so we don't spend much on it.  I'm hoping to switch to unpasteurized milk soon.  It costs about twice as much, but we don't go through it that fast.  I just discovered a wonderful, easy biscuit mix that uses on buttermilk as it’s only other ingredient, so I’ve begun to buy a half gallon of buttermilk every week too.

Cheese: We eat cream cheese like it's goin' out of style. We eat bagels and cream cheese every morning (I have since I was in Jr High, with a brief, torturous break while in college- so don't try to tell me it's unhealthy; I'm not listening....), and it can add up pretty fast.  I did use a rare $5 off 5 Kraft products coupon last week, pairing it with a Food Lion sale, which scored me 5 tubs of Philadelphia cream cheese for zero dollars.  Do I hear an "Amen"?  
The other cheese: mozzarella and cheddar-  I pretty much buy in blocks or pre-shredded bags at either Aldi or Walmart.

Yogurt:  Since I make my own granola (easy recipe below!), and Andrew eats that many mornings for breakfast with yogurt, we go through this rather quickly as well.  I usually get the 32 oz containers of vanilla at Aldi, but every once in a while, one of the stores will have a good sale, or I hear of a printable coupon that I use on Dannon or Yoplait 32 oz containers.  

Ice Cream:  Yes, it's dairy, not dessert.  Moving on...  Ever since reading this post about the evils of store bought ice cream, when we aren't making our own, we buy Breyer's Natural ice cream.  It's on sale pretty often, and we get it every 4-5 weeks or so.

Sour Cream, Half and Half, Whipping Cream, Butter, Etc- I only buy these as I need them for cooking/baking.  Note: I only buy salted butter, no margarine here.  How do I get over sticker shock?  Close my eyes and grab the butter.  

Do any of you have a good (read: easy) recipe for yogurt? I would love to make it at home, but have yet to find an easy way to do it.  I’d love input!

Peanut Butter Granola (adapted from this recipe)

6 cups cooking oats
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
Honey
Other ingredient possibilities: 
raisins, coconut, dried cranberries, pecans,
almonds, other dried fruit and nuts.
  
Mix the first 4 ingredients (plus any additional ingredients) together in a 9X11 baking pan.  Place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.  After the time is up, take the pan out, drizzle with honey, and stir so everything gets mixed together again.  Bake for 10 minutes more.  Remove from oven, and wait for it to cool.  Slap husband's hand when he tries to eat the peanut butter clumps.  Store in jars or a ziplock bag. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha, you guys crack me up. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a recipe online on how to make home made yogurt. I've never tried it although it's in my "someday" list. It sounds easy enough. Here's the link:

    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

    I love that site because everything can be made in a crockpot -- and I LOVE crockpot cooking. :) I can't remember if I got that link off of you or off of someone else's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lazerwonderThanks for the link! I can't wait to try that! Anything I can make in the crockpot deserves 2 thumbs up!

    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails